How to Make a Telehealth Urgent Care Appointment
This step-by-step guide outlines how to make an urgent care telehealth appointment.
Urgent care symptoms that can be addressed through telehealth include, but are not limited to:
- Bug bites
- Cold sores
- Conjunctivitis/pink eye
- Minor sprains/strains
- Poison ivy
- Skin infections
Step 1: Check your eligibility. Call 844-MyVA311 (844-698-2311); select option 1, and then option 3.
Step 2: Go to the VA Facility Locator Tool.
Step 3: Enter the following into the Search:
- Your five-digit ZIP code.
- Urgent care under “Choose a VA facility type”.
- Community urgent care providers (in VA’s Network) under “Choose a Service Type”.
Step 4: Zoom in on the map to find your nearest urgent care provider.
Step 5: Select an urgent care facility from the list on the left. Call to determine if telehealth services are available.
- If the urgent care facility has telehealth capabilities, proceed to Step 6.
- If it does not, return to Step 5 to call another facility.
- Note: Larger urgent care facilities (e.g., MinuteClinic, NextCare, American Family Care) are more likely to have telehealth capabilities.
Step 6: Tell the facility you are a Veteran receiving benefits from VA and would like to schedule a telehealth appointment. Helpful Tip: Remind the urgent care facility to call and validate your eligibility prior to the appointment.
- If the telehealth provider indicates that it will require an out-of-pocket cost to you, tell them that your coverage is through VA and should be billed directly to TriWest. If that is not possible, return to Step 5.
Step 7: Once an urgent care telehealth appointment is scheduled, access the Urgent Care Assistance Card for reference.